May 10, 2010

Strawberry and Cream Cake

 
I spent my Mother's Day not doing what other moms do - be with my child, as my in-laws took Ethan. HOW COOL IS THAT!

So, I got a chance to come up with this cake to celebrate.

(makes a 6" cake)
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt
2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs, room temperature

1 1/2 cups double cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1/4 cup icing sugar

few fresh strawberries for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375F.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. 


Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat for another 3 mins. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Fold in flour mixture.

Pour mixture into a greased 6" springform cake pan lined with parchment paper. Bake 45 mins until top of cake bounces back when pressed. Cool cake in pan for 10 mins. Release cake ring, let cake cool completely before halving the cake in 2 layers.

To prepare filling, whip double cream with sugar until the mixture holds soft peaks. Place into the fridge to chill.
 

Line parchment paper along the inside of the cake ring. Place the bottom cake layer in. Scatter the strawberry pieces on, then top with cream mixture and smooth the top with a palette knife. Place the other cake on top. Dust heavily with icing sugar.

Carefully remove the cake ring. Peel off the parchment paper. Garnish with whole or halved strawberries.

24 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

That sounds a very relaxing holiday! :-) Butter cake with strawberries and cream...a simple but very fresh, and flavourful cake.

singerinkitchen said...

Beautiful recipe and picture!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow....now that is one beautiful cake.....I would love to taste it!
Must have been incredible!!!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Refreshing and perfect summer (almost) dessert!

ann low said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful cake recipe ;)

Roxan said...

WOW, that is a beautiful cake! Looks delicious.

The Cilantropist said...

Oh this looks just lovely! Perfect for this time of the year.

Jophine said...

Sooooooooo beautiful!

The Housewife said...

This is one gorgeous cake that I'm sure tasted as good as it looked! And those strawberries look so tempting! I wonder if I could use other fruit too?

lisaiscooking said...

Beautiful cake! Strawberries and cream is the best.

Drick said...

makes a 6-inch cake, huh - great, just enough for me - very nice cake

Magic of Spice said...

What a wonderful cake, and sounds like a lovely day!

bunkycooks said...

What a fun day...to be able to do some baking. Your cake looks lovely and I like that it is 6 inches...just enough for two!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Beautiful cake.

Kathy Diaz (foundbaking) said...

This cake looks so amazing!!!

Las Vegas auto accident lawyer said...

Looks great. Thanks a lot for the recipe.

CheapAppetite said...

It's great you have a bit of time for yourself on Mother's day. Your in-laws rock! This strawberry cream cake looks amazing! I just bought some fresh strawberries. Maybe I'll go buy some pound cake and a can of whip cream to make a poor man version of this gorgeous cake!

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks so delicious. I'll have to make my own. ;-)

Glad you had a relaxing Mother's Day.

Paz

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm....beautiful! I love all the thick cream and strawberries there to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

C and C Dish said...

What a wonderfully delicious looking cake, yum!

pigpigscorner said...

Beautiful! with that layer of cream and strawberries...yum!

Truffle Shuffle said...

Oh boy, that looks good... I don't think any of my family would get any though. I might just eat the whole thing! Haha.

The Ardent Epicure

My Man's Belly said...

This cakes look so good I want to just dive into it.

My Little Space said...

Cool! The cake looks so stunning. My mouthwatering already. Can't help it! haha...