May 24, 2010

Chinese Style Borscht Soup


Apparently, being pregnant with this kind of sickness, plus being traumatized by Ethan's hunger strike are not tough enough to knock me down. Cause we've just bought a house......means God is going to manipulate my empty soul so I could start packing and moving.

(serves 6-8)
Ingredients:
1 lb beef shin, cut into large pieces
6 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 onion, cut into slices
2 cups diced celery
1/2 cabbage, thickly sliced
5 cups beef broth
5 cups water (or more to cover the vegetables when cooking)
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp freshly ground pepper
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt to taste

Directions:
Boil the beef shin for 10 mins. Rinse it under cold water and drain it well.

In a large pot, put in beef and all remaining ingredients, except potatoes, brown sugar, white wine vinegar and salt. Boil for 20 mins. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until beef is tender. 

Add potatoes, and cook until tender, around 15 mins.

Stir in brown sugar and vinegar. Taste to adjust the sweet and sour balance. Season with salt before serving.

19 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Congratulations! That's double happiness! Drink more soup and stay energetic!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Double happiness is right!!! Soup is always good. =)

ann low said...

Congratulations! Really double happiness. Love Borscht soup and this looks comforting.

Cristina said...

You are both blessed and so fortunate. Congratulations on both accounts. I hope your sickness subsides soon so you can enjoy your new experiences =)

My Mom used to make soup similar to this. Lotsa healthy goodness in this bowl of soup!

Malar Gandhi said...

Soup luks very inviting, hearty bowl of goodness.

The Cilantropist said...

Mmmm, I love these kinds of soups, they truly do feed your soul. Congratulations on the house, I am sure it will be a new and positive move for your family! :)

penny aka jeroxie said...

Congras dear! Drink more soup. It is good for both of you :)

momgateway said...

This looks so enticing!

Tasty Trix said...

This is just the sort of soup to fill you with energy and goodness!

My Man's Belly said...

Look at it this way...you're getting everything out of the way all at one time. I know, that's easy for me to say while I sit here and type this, but Congratulations all the way around!

CheapAppetite said...

Lululu, you have a lot going on in your life now. But you manage to make time for a great looking dish. This soup reminds me of the soup my dad made when I was young. It was delicious and hearty. But yours added a few more spice in it too. It sounds really yummy with the bay leaves, basil, and paprika

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Yummy soup!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This stew looks quite comforting. I've heard from friends that it's been a particularly cold start to the year on the west coast. I hope you're well.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Congrats on all counts - I would be thrilled but probably only because I'm not going through it ;) Wishing you lots of energy and a very short run of the usual dicomforts. Btw, that is a gorgeous shot - I have bowls just like that one!

My Little Space said...

Lululu take care of yourself, OK! You need lots of rest. Btw, congrats on your new house! Looking forward to see it soon. Have a lovely weekend ya!
Cheers, Kristy

Anonymous said...

looks like this soup will give you energy to do EVERYTHING. ;-)

congrats on your home purchase. ;-)

Paz

南方舞廳 said...

why need to add vinegar lei?

lululu said...

南方舞廳, I added vinegar for the slight sour flavor. This is only applicable to Chinese style soup. It might not be necessary for typical western borscht soup.

Joy said...

My dad would make this for me all the time, I LOVE this stuff. It's even good cold, does that make me weird? Anyways, beautiful recipe lululu I will have to make some soon!