October 13, 2009

Simple Nachos and Easy Guacamole


Not every time, but the ritual is there for hockey nights - nachos dipped into guacamole, plus a bottle of cool beer.

You might wonder if that's guacamole. And I assure you, YES, I LOVE IT CHUNKY!

(serves 2 - 4)
Ingredients:
For Nachos:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 bag of tortilla chips
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 red onion, sliced

For Guacamole:
3 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and diced
2 tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
4 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
hot pepper sauce

Directions:
Brown the ground beef with olive oil in a medium skillet. Drain. Add the chili power, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Grease a heat-proof platter with oil. Preheat over to 400F.

Spread a layer of chips over the platter bottom, top with half the ground beef, 1 cup of cheese and half the sliced onion. Repeat with another layers of chips, beef, cheese and onion.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins.

To prepare guacamole, mash avocado and tomato coarsely in a bowl with a fork.

Add reminding ingredients and blend gently.

Serve with warm nachos.

23 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

I love nachos and chunky guacamole! I've never added cumin to my guacamole, but I'll have to try it next time.

Lola Chris said...

Our family love nachos and guacamole. Thanks for sending me the post. Yum!

Cookin' Canuck said...

What a perfect Sunday afternoon snack - sitting in front of the TV and watching football.

KennyT said...

FL, you know what? Today when I was shopping at the supermarket, I was thinking about making some guacamole too! See? Great minds think alike!

My Little Space said...

Sounds delicious to me! I'm not a foodball fan but I'll watch TVB drama series with these...he he!

CheapAppetite said...

Nicely done lululu. yummy nachos and guacamole. I love them both. Chunky is good! Interesting twist with the cumin.

Buckeroomama said...

I love chunky guacamole... the chunkier the better! :)

mamammelloves said...

Yum! I LOVE a good, chunky guacamole! So delicious! :)

Divina Pe said...

I love guacamole. Too bad avocados are out of season.

Angie's Recipes said...

Your guacamole looks very very good. It shall be nice too used as a sandwich filling.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

This is totally one of those dishes I make when I'm feeling like I need a bit of junk food (even though these really aren't TOO bad for you) and I need something relatively easy and quick. Yum, your guac looks good!

Jessie said...

we love nachos here! that looks amazing!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I love everything about this dish: the nachos, the chunky guacamole, and the beer! :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Guac should totally be chunky. No other way. All the good stuff is nice when it's visible.

ann low said...

I really love this. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, nachos are my husband's favorite lunch, I love your version! The guacamole sounds yummy with cumin!

Unknown said...

Yum! I'll definitely be making these for football season.

Thanks for sharing!

Short and Bald said...

your guacamole looks chunky and delicious, just the way i like it.

My Little Space said...

Hi Lulu, I wonder if you can interested to come out with a name for my previous posting(stromboli, enchilada or burrito!). Coz I'm going to have a voting game for it and also giveaway to the name chosen. So. see ya! Cheers.

EcoMeg said...

That sounds SO delicious! I could eat guacamole for breakfast, I love it so much. Thanks for sharing!

janet said...

Your guacamole looks amazing! I too like it chunky, texture is great.

Table Talk said...

Oh, it's chilly today, and this looks just right. I love eggplant!

Family Cuisine Food And Recipe said...

Simply delicious ! Thank you for sharing. Cheers !