June 26, 2009

Broiled Buffalo Wings



I don't have a deep fryer at home. The thought of buying one have come across my mind occasionally for the past few years, especially the moment when I saw it's being used on Food Network. It doesn't take up much space, it has a sleek design, the non-stick parts make cleanup a breeze. And most importantly, the fried food tastes so much better than pan-fried food.

However, I still can't figure out what to do with the large amount of used oil. I find it really a waste to consume so much oil to just make a plate of fries, maybe half dozen of donuts, maybe some calamari.....The delicious taste of fried food just can't overcome my guilt of not being able to fully use a full can of oil.

So, over these years, I've been using my oven to create the "artificial" fried food to satisfy my cravings.

(makes around 20 chicken winglets)
Ingredients:
20 chicken winglets
3 tbsp butter, melted
4 tbsp tobasco
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Make the marinade by mixing together the melted butter, hot pepper sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Reserve 2 tbsp for coating after the wings come out of the oven.

Marinade the wings with the remaining marinade at room temperature for half an hour.

Drain the marinade off the wings. Place wings on the rack of a broiler pan. Broil on the top shelf in the oven for 15 mins, until wings are no longer pink. Remove from oven and baste with reserved marinade.

Serve hot with blue cheese dip.

9 comments:

Olive said...

I should've stayed for dinner last night! Those wings look sooo yummy!

KennyT said...

I can easily finish 20 of these beautiful wings on my own, haha.

lululu said...

keturah - u r always welcome to come by anytime again.

kennyT - totally same here. haha

Vera said...

These look delicious! Not being fried, they are almost diet food :)

lululu said...

vera - what an excuse to eat a dozen without guilt.

AJsPlayhouse said...

Cool! Another way to "fake" fried wings is to boild the wings in water for about 20 minutes, then throw them on a hot grill to finish them and crisp up the outside!

lululu said...

Good idea, AJ!

lululu said...

Good idea, AJ!

chili said...

I bet these were good and crispy! Look great!