March 4, 2008

Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce


Me and my husband tend to have a big and nice breakfast in weekends. He's a huge fan of sunny-side-up + sausage/bacon + toast. I think he can have it every breakfast, lunch and dinner. My preference is always something sweet - pancake, waffle and bread pudding which I've decided to try to make one last weekend.

Bread pudding just sounds a little unfashionable to make unless you inhabit country side log house, hahaha... But I do love its heavy taste, tender texture and hearty satisfaction.

(serves 4)
Ingredients:
For Bread Pudding:
3/4 stick unsalted butter
10 thick slice bread (I used D'Italiano)
3 egg yolks
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar
2 cup milk
1 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp powder sugar


For Rum Sauce:
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp flour
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:
Make rum sauce by mixing brown sugar and flour in a sauce pan. Add cream, milk, rum and vanilla. Bring to a boil which whisking constantly. Let it become lukewarm while whisking a few times.


Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a shallow baking dish with butter.

Butter 1 side of the bread (reserve some butter to smear on the top later). Cut bread in half in triangles and arrange/squeeze them evenly in the dish.

In another bowl, whisk milk, egg yolks, egg, brown sugar, rum and vanilla. Pour over the bread and leave them to soak up the liquid for about 10 minutes.

Smear the bread crusts that are poking out of the liquid with the soft butter.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until the center is firm and slightly humid.

Sprinkle powder sugar on top and serve immediately with rum sauce.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to visit you the coming weekend. Get this bread pudding ready!!!! :P

Anita

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Panda said...

hey!!!how's your baby???